Re: boot-floppies_3.0.12_i386.changes INSTALLED

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:22:31AM -0700, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:43:09PM -0400, Debian Installer wrote:
> >   * Ethan Benson
> >     - PowerMac uses linux (read i386) keycodes now, use i386 keymaps.
> >       This still needs a fixed -pmac kernel, but console-data in woody
> >       requires that anyway.
>
> Woah.  OK, I've been letting this slide a little bit, but are you
> telling me that we need a new 2.2.19 kernel for the version of
> boot-floppies now in the archive?  What must I do to get you to tell me
> these things BEFORE committing them, so that we could actually have
> working kernels?
>
> Or is that changelog entry not clear?

we either need a kernel with CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=n or the user has
to pass the following kernel argument:

keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1

the 2.2.19 in woody is already broken because console-data has made
this trasistion and is switching users keymaps and setting the sysctl
(which won't last a reboot), it then tells them to use the above
append= line or recompile thier kernel.  this work has been going on
for weeks now has been discussed on the list several times now.

it needs to happen one way or the other, b-f is not the first thing to
require it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/