Re: [debian-installer] Some questions

[ Again, sorry for the delay. ]

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I've got one question though. If we use cdebconf for all interactions,
> we're never going to have a GUI for advanced partitionning (you know
> something like PartitionMagic or the Mandrake partitionner, where
> you can resize a FAT partition and see the result on a visual
> representation of the disk), unless of course we launch an external
> program that doesn't interact with cdebconf.
>
> But launching an external program would break the nice encapsulation of the
> UI. Was that already discussed ?

Yes, this is a problem of course. Debconf may come in handy for feeding
in pre-determined partition setups, and it could be used to ask every
question needed to partition a disk, but it would be quite clunky. The
simplicity of the UI you can create with debconf is both a weakness and
a strength.

> Another point is that the very beginning of the install process is not yet
> clear in my mind. I understand that the boot image would include one
> or several retrievers (and their dependencies) in order to let the system
> get other modules for continuing the install but since we also want
> autodetection of hardware, this will also have to fit in that boot image
> (at least to autodetect the medium that will be used to retrieve the rest
> of the install), no ?

Yes, there's really no other way it can be done. Oh, it's possible to
have a two stage process, where a simple to set up retriver (like one
that grabs files from floppies) is used to download what's needed to use
a more complex retreiver.

--
see shy jo