apt-get replaced in boot-floppies (was Re: Alpha Boot Floppies: new version)

Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> "make release" now works fine except for two things:
>
> * You need the "srmbootfat" tool from the MILO source. In the long
>   run, this could be provided by a MILO deb package. Currently, we
>   could either require it to be locally installed, or I could add it
>   to the CVS. It's two files of 12k (GPL). If this is considered a
>   good idea, I'd like to create an "alpha-specials" dir. Any opinions?

Do not put files which are maintained elsewhere into boot-floppies
CVS.

Use wget to download it as needed during build if necessary, or better
yet, expect it in the tools dir, and add an alpha check for it.

> * Downloading via apt-get still doesn't work because of dependency
>   problems. Could I perhaps just commit the "fake-get" hack which uses
>   wget instead and activate it for Alpha? Even if we fiddle with the
>   packages, this problem can always reappear.

This problem affects powerpc as well.

I've fixed this.  I have a hacked boot-floppies that requires
debootstrap and uses the same system debootstrap does, namely, wget.

It seems to be working well.  I'm testing right, I'll commit it if it
works ok.

At that point, I'll upload those powerpc images for testing, and think
about building 3.0.10 right away.