Re: XFS Boot Disks

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Constantin-Marius Moisescu wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was just wondering if there are any plans to make it
> possible to select XFS as a filesystem during the
> install of Woody. Or will it only be EXT2?

None that I know off.

> Will Woody use the 2.4-series kernel during the
> installation? If so, it would be relatively easy to
> add support for XFS, ReiserFS, JFS, or any other file
> system (modules +initrd).

I don't know if they will be using 2.4 for woody.

There are links in the XFS faq at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html

> Are there any plans to incorporate the changes made by
> these people into the official Woody boot-floppies?

There is a kernel-patch deb in the repository. I don't know if it is still
the one for the 1.0 release or the later 1.0.1 release. There are numerous
patches for XFS that can be found on the FTP site.
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/
But unfortunately they don't have the manpower to squash bugs and maintain
all sort of platforms, be it rpms or debs. We are relying on the community
to pick the bits up.

Zoltan Kraus has made XFS boot/install disks, but I don't know the current
status.

Cheers
Seth
XFS FAQ maintainer