Re: libm on root-filesystem?

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Hmm, Falk says the attachment is garbled, try this:
> >
> > ftp://rut.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/boot-floppies/
>
> Well, if you guys can fix it so that it actually works (not segfaults)
> I'd be glad to use it for Woody boot-floppies.  The python
> build-dependancy doesn't bug me much.

It works and its in the CVS now. I just had to place the sofini.o
after the libc_pic in the gcc call and the segfault was gone.

> However, I'm disappointed no one's tested the work I did.  Ugly or
> not, it should work and it should reduce libm more, but I'm still
> waiting for any sort of confirmation or testing results.

The script prints out the symbols used in each library and _NO_ symbol
is used from libm, which results in a 3K libm. I added a hack to not
link libraries against libm, which saves a few bytes as well. :)
We could make a hardlink from libm to libc, since it already provides
all symbols in libm that are used. That would save another 3K.

Alternatively we could figure out a way to remove the libm from all
binaries and unreduced libraries.

MfG
        Goswin