Re: [debian-installer] Full CDROM install

Le Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:18:34AM +1000, Herbert Xu écrivait:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >
> > This udeb would probably depend on modules-cdrom-udeb and
> > modules-scsi-udeb (they don't exist yet, any good reason to that ?).
> > [ ccing Herbert just for information about this ]
>
> I only provide modules that debian-installer requests for.  So far nobody
> has asked for these modules.  If you can give me an exact list of the
> modules you require in each package (you can simply give a generator set
> as the rules file will take care of the dependencies), then I can turn it
> into a package for you.

Ok, a few generic questions though. Does it matter if some modules are
in several modules-udeb ? I hope not (and I don't see why it would cause
problem as long as they are the same in the different udeb) because I
guess it'll be difficult to avoid this if all dependent modules are
automatically included.

I propose this (feel free to comment the others) :

cdrom-modules-<kver>-udeb

. all modules that are in kernel/driver/cdrom/ :
  aztcd.o  cdu31a.o  gscd.o   mcd.o   optcd.o  sjcd.o
  cdrom.o  cm206.o   isp16.o  mcdx.o  sbpcd.o  sonycd535.o
. ide-cd
. isofs

scsi-modules-<kver>-udeb

. all modules from kernel/driver/scsi

The modules-scsi-udeb may well be a bit large for us. For CDROM access, I
could remove sd_mod, st and sg. But that's save no more than 60k on 2,1M
(actual size of the directory). So it's not really worth it, this way the
scsi udeb can be used for other installation method eventually.

BTW, I see that none of the modules are stripped by default. That should
be done automatically for udeb.

strip -R .comment -R .note, it saves about 500k on the scsi directory.
(eventually I heard that compiling them with -Os could help too but that'd
need more work for you Herbert)

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com