[dsh8290@rit.edu: Re: Base System release critical bug status II]

----- Forwarded message from dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> -----
From: dman <dsh8290@rit.edu>
Subject: Re: Base System release critical bug status II
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:15:12 -0400
To: Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>

Is it too late to make a suggestion for the woody cds?  If you look at
yesterday's archives from -user you will see that I accidentally
destroyed my partition table, though the data in the partitions was
fine.  I had potato cds so I was able to boot with that and change the
parition table.  The bigger problem was that I didn't remember exactly
where the partitions where.  The program 'gpart' was an excellent help
in finding where the partition boundaries were.  My suggestion is that
it and/or the vfat kernel module be included on the woody cd.  I had
downloaded gpart (in binary form) from a website while at work, but
put it on a vfat floppy because the company's machine has windows on
it.  The potato installer cd couldn't mount it because it doesn't have
vfat suport (or module) in the ramdisk.  I managed to work it out,
though.

Just a suggestion ...
-D

PS.  It may just be me, but whenever I type "rescue" at the LILO
     prompt when booting with the potato cd I get a kernel panic,
     unable to mount root fs.  I can boot like a regular install and
     then switch to VC2 to get a bare-bones shell and system.
----- End forwarded message -----