Re: woddy from disk install problem

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:01:44PM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> Does this mean my recently (2 weeks ago) downloaded packages are no longer
> working with the disks from /debian/dists/woody/main ? Do I have to get the
> new packages from the pool directory? Which is much harder to accomplish due
> to the organization.
No no no NO. The packages will probably work, but you might not have the
latest packages. Usually no problem, but you are talking about testing here.
TESTING and UNSTABLE. The packages might have bugs, which are fixed in later
versions. I would expect more problems with the boot-floppies than with the
other packages though (thats why we are looking for people to test them).
Ie if bf works for you, you have a running system and can update everything
else later.

But again, you do not have to download all those packages. You should start
installing the stable version, get accustomed to it and then upgrade to
unstable or use a chroot. This saves you time and the developers time, since
you are new to debian. You can help testing the boot-floppies much better
when you know what to eexpect from the boot-floppies, how the previous
version was working (and that one is working since its already released.)
On the other hand, starting with a woody install might reveal new ideas
which old time users do not have, since they are so used to the system.
But I still think you should start with stable.

If you insist on installing unstable, you have several options (besides what
I already suggested). You can use the basedebs.tgz (did I say that
already?), you just need to have root, rescue and co plus a ~17MB download
of base packages. Gives you a basic system, install more (NOT everything)
from there (via phone, pile of floppies, pile of notebooks, or mirror)
You carry all your packages on your notebook? Why don't you use the notebook
as a mirror then? Make the files available by ftp/http or export the whole
debian directory via nfs. Works neat for me (without a notebook though).
You don't have to download all the packages to the notebook, you can install
individual packages with dpkg, no need for a full tree, just copy one
package after another to your new box and install it. No nice when you want
to install packages with lots of dependencies, but doable.
If you don't have a "real" mirror on your box, you can use apt-move or
similar tools to create one.

But I still suggest you start with stable. When I setup my "new" (used) box
here, I started with the stable (2.2r0 even) CDs, since my 20G disk from
home wouldn't work in this old machine. Took me a week to get my winmodem
going and another week to upgrade to woody via the phone. Would have been
much easier if I had had a way to get packages on a notebook or other
removable media.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/