Re: basedebs.tgz

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 04:38:04PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, I got the stuff...but now what to do with it? From the archives of this
> list, I think that I have to go to a console, copy the basedebs.tgz over to
> /target (from the macos partition where it was originally), tar xvzf
> basedebs.tgz (all this after I'm in the installation program and the step is
> listed as "Install the Base System." But the installer still looks for
> /dists/woody/main/binary-m68k/Release on the local drive...Interestingly,
> when I untar the basedebs, I get a few files in /target/var/apt/lists (which
> is where they are supposed to go, right?) that are named
> debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_Release, and a few other
> debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_[whatever] files.
>
> What's up with that?
I don't think you should unpack that by hand. I suspect this file can be
used by the installer to install the base system from the tarball instead of
downloading all the individual deb files. But for this to work, you have to
use boot-floppies with this feature built in... working on that, the m68k
build always takes a little. Plus I was having some hardware problems again,
my Amiga is becoming old... or maybe it doesn't like the humidity. Expect a
new test version tomorrow.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/