Re: dhcp-client uselessness on powerpc

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 06:55:01AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> Maybe that's the difference, mine's a dhcp server. I don't suppose
> you're in a position to test that? Are you using the bootp package?
> Maybe I can scrounge a test system together.

eb@plato eb$ dlocate -s bootp | grep ^Ver
Version: 2.4.3-3

you can see my bootptab if you want, pump, OpenFirmware and MacOS all
work fine with it so i am not inclined to believe its misconfigured.

i have no interest in setting up a dhcp server.

> Actually, the reason I put dhcp-client in is that pump wouldn't work on
> my powerpc. I guess we've gone full circle. :-\

pump has never failed for me, but all i ever used it for was testing
that bootp network config in boot-floppies worked, and it does for
potato which uses pump.

> Certainly it's easy enough to control since dbootstrap loads whichever
> one it finds, so mess with the extract files to switch back and forth.

to what end? pump works, dhcp-client does not.

> The top of the init script on my machine looks like the following.
>
> if [ -f /etc/network/interfaces ]; then
>         grep -q '^iface.*dhcp' /etc/network/interfaces && exit 0
> fi
>
> Doesn't this mean that it exits if it encounters a dhcp entry in
> interfaces?

yup, and it means it runs if it doesn't find one, which means if your
network is configured statically in /e/n/interfaces dhcp runs off and
fucks it up, lets demonstrate shall we?

root@socrates /root# cat /sbin/dhclient
#!/bin/sh
echo "i have now fucked your networking, have a nice day"
exit 0
root@socrates /root# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.10
root@socrates /root# /mnt/etc/init.d/dhcp-client start
i have now fucked your networking, have a nice day
root@socrates /root#

that initscript should have exited without doing anything because my
network is statically configured.

this is the dhcp-client installed by debootstrap less then a week ago,
current woody.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/