installing potato on a dinosaurus ;-)

Dear Gurus,

I write you as I'm desesparate !
Debian Linux is my favorite distrib since it's the only free and
transparent one. Making a server using it is simply stable and
evolutive.

Today, i've got a new ARCHAIC i486SX notebook with only 8 MB of RAM I
would turn into a network diag station using Potato.
Great, that's ok ... but the installation help mention clearly the need
of 12 MB of RAM ! I've tried to install it, ignoring this, but I've some
problem when the kernel tries to free some memory pages (it complains
ever and ever, installing is then impossible).

I wouldn't install anything else but Potato, so what can I do. what are
the tips and tricks ? Is there no solutions to install my favorite OS on
such hardware limited machines (it was so pleasant to recycle my old
machines by the past with a full multi-user OS) ? or would I change to
FreeBSD instead (even if FreeBSD is a great one, I would be sad if my
dear Potato wouldn't install) ?

Great thanks by advance for any help.

Mickaël Suzenne
France