Re: configuration of base packages

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 08:52:12PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> >
> > > I'm trying to remember when exim got configured in potato installs. Was
> > > it even installed as part of the base system back then? Could someone
> > > with a test machine do an install and check?
> >
> > Yes, it would stop and ask you on postinst, IIRC.
>
> So it was in the base system (what tasksel or dselect selected), but not
> in the base.tgz.

it was priority important so its the default one selected by
tasksel/dselect unless the user overrode it and selected something
else.

> So I suppose one workaround for the current problem is to not have
> debootstrap download exim. Then it will be selected in base-config, and
> installed, and can prompt to its hearts content.

even better give the user a choice of a couple popular options:

exim (default if debian still wishes it so)
postfix (many people prefer it)
some tiny localhost only mta that just gets cron's mail delivered properly.

> Is this workable?

i think that makes more sense, i don't really see why we have to have
a full MTA in the base system (that is what is installed by debootstrap).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/