Re: boot-floppies 2.3.5 ready for testing (i386 and powerpc so far)

Hi Adam!

You wrote:

> I would like to open the door wide for testing.  I apologize for the
> state of the boot-floppies bug tracking area -- it's a mess.  We will
> try to clean that up.  However, even so, please don't hesitate to file
> bugs.
> Alternatively, just take rough notes during installation and send
> those to <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>.

I just tested new boot flops. Unfortunately, the installation was not
successfull (see below).

Some remarks:

 - There are too much drivers on the driver flops. Why do we need joystick,
   sound and video drivers on the boot disks? Just including
   block, net, fs, cdrom, scsi and usb would save about 7MB
   (uncompressed).
 - There is a warning about creating an empty ld.so.conf after
   downloading the base system.
 - While downloading the essential packages, the package named are
   displayed. This is nice, so the user can see what is being done.
   However, when installing those packages, just the message "Installing
   essential packages" is displayed. It would be nice if here also the
   package currently being processed would be displayed. The same point
   applies to the installation of the base packages.
 - There is a warning about creating an empty lilo.conf. Same for
   exim.conf.
 - I get a warning "Failure trying to run dpkf --force-auto-select
   --force-overwrite --force". The installation doesn't proceed after
   this (this warning continues to appear).

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |