Re: Root disk problems for i18n floppies

Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 12:50:51PM +0200 wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:38:06PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > David Whedon <dwhedon@gordian.com> writes:
> >
> > > One option is to make an optional i18n floppy and have a menu option: 'Load
> > > Multiple Languages'.  Then we mount the dist that contains the additional
> > > messages and whatever else we need then install into the right locations.  I
> > > don't know much about gettext or whatever.  In principle this sounds possible
> > > but there may be issues I am unaware of.
> >
> > Or get it over the network...
>
> Obtaining messages at runtime from the outside would be a pain
> both for us and the user, i think.

It is extra work for us, and by the time they have the network up there isn't
much else for them to do, the run debootstrap and then reboot, not a lot of
interaction.

> So let's just stay with the CD.

Too bad, but there isn't a good way around it.  Has any thought gone into making
root.fr.bin, that is, a bunch of different root disks, or am I going crazy?  In
principle they would be easy to make, unfortunately it would increase the size
of b-f binary uploads greatly.

David