Re: Misc problems with b-f 2.3.6 install, hppa

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 07:56:13PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Richard Hirst wrote:
> > At the end of an install, base-config 1.04, it offers to remove some pkgs;
> > console-*, because I'm on serial console, I guess, and also base-config
> > itself.  Is that expected?
>
> console-* yes, base-config no. Unless you explicitly picked it for
> removal in dselect I guess. If you didn't mark it for removal in
> dselect, I don't know what could cause it to be removed. A conflict with
> something? A dependancy issue with hacking base-config 1.04 into
> testing? Was this on testing?

That was unstable, hppa, with a base-config 1.04 I built myself.  I now
have base-config built from cvs a few hours ago, and, provided I edit
dbootstrap-settings to make SUITE='unstable', AND I use a graphical
console, I don't see a problem.  If I do exactly the same thing but use
a serial console, it says

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  base-config console-data* console-tools* console-tools-libs*
4 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 360kB of archives. After unpacking 4690kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

If I say no to that, I get the login prompt.  If I say yes, it goes on
to remove base-config:

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main libsasl7 1.5.24-6 [60.4kB]
Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main modutils 2.4.6-3 [241kB]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main libnewt0 0.50.17-6 [41.1kB]
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main whiptail 0.50.17-6 [17.4kB]
Fetched 360kB in 6s (58.8kB/s)
(Reading database ... 6588 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing base-config ...
(Reading database ... 6558 files and directories currently installed.)
etc.

Following this, I got the login prompt without seeing the "Have fun
you may now log in at the login prompt" dialog box.  I have seen that
dialog on some installs today though, havn't figured out what affects
it yet.

So, it would seem serial console installs remove base-config and
graphical ones don't...

> > If I don't remove base-config, I get the 'you may now log
> > in as root' screen, I hit return, and am back in to base-config.
> > Run through it again, and then I get a real login prompt.
>
> This I don't know. It sounds like base-config either unexpectly exited

Didn't hit this problem today, base-config 1.06 from cvs, so I think
we can ignore it.

> (Another nice hack in base-config debugging is when debian first boots,
> boot it up single user at first, and reconfigure debconf, picking the
> debconf text frontend, and then run base-config manually. Then you can easily
> see any error messages that might flash by and suspend it to examine system
> state.)

Thanks, that is useful.

> Anyway, you should be able to reproduce the problem on an installed
> system by runnnig whiptail:
>
> 	whiptail --msgbox test 10 20

Thanks, that does reproduce it.  Should be able to debug now.

Richard