Re: successful installation with 2.3.5 boot-floppies

Before everyone gets too bent out of shape, let me re-assure you all that
the debian-testing group is here to help, and now that we have releases to
work on, I am confident that the team will begin testing.

I've been pretty busy trying to find a job (finding work is always harder
than doing work...) but I should have some time to put toward the testing
of this latest release in the next day or two.

First, I want to thank Adam Di Carlo for his dedication to this job.
Without his efforts it is not clear where we would be with the boot
floppies, and I think we owe him a greatful Thank You.

To the debian-testing list/team I can only say, Go to:

  http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/

and download and test as much of the boot floppies as possible.

I'll be testing the CD boot process, as that is not as complex as building
a complete CD. For those who can also toast a CD, here is the process:

1. Create an ARCHIVES subdirectory where the components to toast will be
   placed.

2. CD to ARCHIVES and create the subdirectory boot/

3. Copy the rescue image file into the ARCHIVES/boot/ directory.

4. Copy a rescue image file, the Drivers tarball, and the Base tarball
   into the ARCHIVES root directory for ease of installation.

5. Make the ISO image file using the command:

     mkisofs -r -T -v -o boot/<rescue imagefile name> \
                      -c boot/boot.catalog \
                      -o TARGET/binary.iso \
                      ARCHIVES

6. Toast TARGET/binary.iso onto CD media

7. Test.

I posted a sample report form on the debian-testing list a while back
which got no comment. I can only assume that it was satisfactory ;-)

Please use that form when reporting test results. Feel free to CC your
report to the boot floppies mailing list if there is information of
interest for these folks. I will try to make periodic composite reports to
that group, but the quicker they get the info the sooner it can be acted
upon.

If anyone in the testing group has any further questions, or needs another
copy of the sample testing report, feel free to contact me.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-