Re: su message

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:23:06PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> >its already setuid, setuid doesn't work for dropping privileges, only
> >gaining them.
>
> Not as in 'chmod u+s', as in the system call. If setuid(2) doesn't work
> for dropping privileges, we're all in trouble.

oh right, though setuid() is not very easy to call in a shell script
;-)  i suppose you might be able to do it if you changed the postinst
to perl.

> Besides, mandb is not setuid by default.

yes noticed that.

> That might well be neater. Thanks.

ive already used it on a few local scripts i have and it really seems
to work well.  i wish findutils would use it so you don't get su root
-> nobody logs every day...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/