Re: su message

Matt Kraai <kraai@debian.org> wrote:
>I've been investigating why the su in man-db installation logs a
>message to the console.  It cannot log the message to /dev/log,
>since it is executing in a chroot.  It falls back to logging the
>message to the console.
>
>The best solution I've though of is to make /dev/log available in
>the chroot.

I take it just symlinking /dev/log to /dev/null and throwing away
messages isn't acceptable?

If you can set debconf questions in that phase of the installation, you
could set man-db/build-database to false, but you'd have to cause it to
be built later on.

Failing that, maybe I can have mandb attempt to setuid(man) if it's
processing only system manpaths, and lose the su.