Re: Installer online help

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 03:27:11AM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  gzipping a gzipped file doesn't make it any smaller, so compressing before
> making it part of the filesystem won't save space.  The larger filesystem
> created by leaving it uncompressed will be matched by the better
> compressability of the filesystem.

we should also have a bit of free space on the ramdisk filesystem
since there are places where tmp files are created and such.

>  OTOH, compressing it first would make it take a different number of disk
> blocks, unless it was so small it would take only one or two anyway.  Extra
> filesystem overhead could be smaller, so gzipping it first might make sense.
> Anyway, a smaller uncompressed FS needs less RAM when unpacked.  Since it's
> kernel memory, it's not pageable, so it really hurts to have big initrds on
> very low memory systems.

if it were 1024 bytes or less compressing wouldn't matter, becaues of
block sizes,  but if we can take 6000 bytes down to 1000 or so we
savea  few blocks..   whatever which ever way makes the most sense.
we need some free space on the uncompressed root filesystem too.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/