testing with powermac/oldworld (probs in miboot, debootstrap, kernel)

Scenario:

  booting with 2.3.5 (built from cvs about 48 hrs ago)
  vintage 99 or 98 PowerBook g3
  booting from miboot floppy
  additional floppy for root
  the rest done via HTTP

Problems:

 - had to edit the 'system' file on the miboot floppy with ResEdit
   to add video=atyfb:vmode:11 for my hardware

   Is there any workarund for this?  Any way at all to set ker
   args differently to cope with video hardware?

 - during install base unable to install the 'sid' distribution, due
   to this error:

    dbootstrap: No such script: /usr/lib/dbootstrap/scripts/sid

 - kernel we're using there has some problems, there are
   unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.19/
                                              net/3c503.o
                                              scsi/53c7,8xx.o

 - (dbootstrap 0.1.9) emits:
     Failure trying to run: dpkg --force-auto-select --forceoverwrite --skip-
   This error repeats many times.

 - 'make system bootable' (quik variant) failed to actually make the
   system bootable from the internal hard disk; I booted right into
   MacOS

I'm going to check in a bit more to all this.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>