dpkg-reconfigure base-config

Hi,
  I've got a problem (on hppa), booting in to the second stage
install.  inittab says

T0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/termwrap /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config </dev/ttyS0 >/dev/ttyS0 2>&1

and when I reboot the system I get T0 respawning too fast from init.
Rebooted with init=/bin/sh, renamed inittab.real to inittab, rebooted,
logged in, and I find that "/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config"
just pauses for a short while and returns to the prompt.

This could be because of broken/outdated packages on hppa, or could
be because my boot-floppies is a hacked version cvs from about 3 weeks
ago.  "dpkg-reconfigure debconf" works, so I'm guessing this is a problem
with the new base-config.deb.

Possibly relevant things I have installed:

ii  base-config    1.00           Debian base configuration package
ii  base-files     2.2.8          Debian base system miscellaneous files
ii  debconf        0.9.62         Debian configuration management system
ii  debianutils    1.15           Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  dpkg           1.9.6          Package maintenance system for Debian
ii  perl           5.6.1-3        Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report

Any suggestions of what might be broken would be most welcome.

Thanks,
  Richard