tail /var/log/messages spasm

Intermittently during testing, I've found that the tail
/var/log/messages running on tty3 sometimes reports "no such file or
directory." I assume this is because the messages file simply doesn't
exist yet.

Certainly one fix for this would be to touch messages in=20
scripts/rootdisk/prototype/var/log, thus creating an empty file. Perhaps
another way is to otherwise create the file at boot time, perhaps in
inittab?

What's the best solution?

On another topic: currently, the default ext2 partition formatting
provides backward support for 2.0 kernels. Would anyone object if I
change the default to 2.2 (and later) kernels? I noticed that the arm
message (in utilities/dbootstrap/partition_config.c) is a bit different,
something about netwinder firmware. I won't change that entry without
explicit instructions.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>