Re: dhcp-client

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:20:36PM -0600, Matt Kraai wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:05:47PM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> > I'm working on boot-floppies for hppa.  I do an install, tell it I
> > don't want to use dhcp, and enter the static IP address details.
> >
> > When I reboot the system starts up dhcp-client anyway, and
> > /etc/init.d/networking isn't run at all.  eth0 is up, lo is not.
> > To sort things out I have to --purge dhcp-client, dpkg-reconfigure netbase,
> > and add 'auto lo', 'auto eth0' to /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > When I tried a dhcp configured install a few days ago the system
> > didn't run dhcp-client on reboot.
>
> I can't be sure without more information, but my guess is that
> this was broken in the switch from pump to dhclient.  pump does
> not provide an /etc/init.d/ script, but relies instead on ifup to
> invoke it.  dhclient provides such a script, which unconditionally
> start its.  For testing, you should probably remove this script
> and the links to it before rebooting and see if that fixes your
> problem.
>
> If this is the case, let me know and I (or you) can file an
> important bug against dhcp-client to have this init.d script
> removed.

The second line in /etc/init.d/dhccp-client checks to see if a dhcp
entry exists in /etc/network/interfaces, if such an entry exists, then
dhclient doesn't start.  Although, I don't know why in Debian you'd
want to start dhcp-client from a script instead of using
/etc/network/interfaces. In fact, I suppose this means that any machine
with only a static ip would still have a dhclient daemon running. That
sounds like a bug (or a useless feature) to me.

If you had to add auto lo and auto eth0, then /etc/init.d/networking
wouldn't do anything since it essentially does an ifup -a -- in effect,
only auto interfaces are brought up.

It sounds like /etc/network/interfaces wasn't generated correctly or at
least not completely. Hmmmm.

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>