Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:26:52PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >>Well, ok no problem, just make a tarball that can be copied to 1760Kb
> >>floppies, it is even better, since we have more place for stuff.
> >>
> >>I don't think we can ever fit a kernel and amiboot in 880kb, could we ?
> >>

> > My 2.4.4 zImage is only 458036 bytes long. I have lots of modules, but it could
> > work. I remember I once did.
>

> Can we use modules for the install on APUS? Our strategy has been to include
> all possible hardware into the kernel.

Why not, the only problem is that you need the things from which you boot
included in the kernel. That would mean most ide/scsi driver stuff, as well as
ppp and eth networking and filesystems. Apart from that, most stuff is
probably not needed.

Also, there is no reason the kernel of the boot floppies will be the final
installed one. I heard speach about 2.4.x being big (probably on i386) that is
too big to fit into a floppy, so they planed to have 2.2.latest on the boot
floppies, and provide the user a choice of other kernels during the real
install. Now, i don't know if this would be 'hand' installed kernels, or done
automaticcaly.

What is the size of the 2.4.x kernel compared to the 2.2.10 one ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther