Re: tasks: counterproposal (and implimentation)

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:02:53PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > For comparison, using task- packages, if I remove the core packages from
> > a task from woody, I can just also remove the task- from woody.
> In a sense, doing it programmatically is cleaner and less work in the
> long run.

There's also the issue of flexibility: if you have a task-mail-server
which provides an MTA, an IMAP and a POP daemon, a webmail interface and
maybe some tools like sauce or a spool cleaner-upperer, then you might
want to drop the tasks only if both the IMAP daemon and the webmail
interface go away, or you might want to it to be dropped if either of
them do.

> > > Split out the task data and move it to a standard priority package then.
> > Which means the task data won't be installed in the base system, and thus
> > won't be available when base-config is run. Doesn't it?
> There is really little correlation between priority and what goes on the
> base system.

Yes, I'm well aware of this, that's why I said "as part of the base
system".

> Of course, that's largely due to divergence and wrong
> priorities on packages, But there are other packages, like pcmcia-cs,
> that are legitimatly not in standard, but are still installed as part of
> the base system. This could just be another, similar case.

Everything in the base system, even with priority extra, will get frozen
earlier than the stuff in standard and tasks.

Cheers,
aj