Re: RAID and the installer

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:00:49PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Imnsho this should be fixed.. I can think of two solutions:
> 1. don't use modules for RAID drivers or other drivers one might need
>    to configure the root filesystem.

This is already the case if you use the compact flavour.  We can't fit
everything into the same image, which is why we have four flavours in
potato.

> 2. create a seperate block-drivers disk which the installer directly
>    without needing to a root filesystem (Joey's idea).

That's what debian-installer does I think.  Of course it's pointless unless
you've got an initrd kernel afterwards as you won't be able to boot the
system.

> The second approach definitely looks like the better choice to me.

I agree.  It is also the direction we're heading in with di.