Re: woody bf-utf8 (Re: slang, boot-floppies, and wide character support)

Peter Novodvorsky <nidd@altlinux.ru>:

> > So we should provide libutf8 package, or make bogl-bterm statically
> > linked to libutf8 library.
>
> Bruno Haible's page states that libutf8 is needed only libc versions
> below 2.2. So, 2.2.2-4 should work fine.

This is correct. I stopped using libutf8 when I upgraded my libc6 to
2.2. The main difference with using glibc is that you have to set up
the locale (by editing /etc/locale.gen and running localegen), whereas
libutf8 just detects the mention of "UTF-8" in the appropriate
environment variable (LANG or LC_*).

The implementations are not identical, of course, so it is possible
that using glibc instead of libutf8 will expose a bug that was
previously hidden.

Edmund