Re: Impressions on using the debian potato installation Cds

>> I use chrony on my other linux distribution.  please ask the user if
>> he agrees to writing the software clock to the hardware clock before
>> doing this in the rc. scripts!  the first time we notice it it is too
>> late.

J> during the install, you are asked if the real time clock is set to
J> localtime or GMT. it does not actually set the hardware clock.

well, I chose localtime. But in any case, at least add the warning
"please note: the file /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh will copy the software
clock time to the hardware clock at each shutdown of this system.  If
this will interfere with other timekeeping procedures you are already
using, you might consider editing that file to prevent that action."

>> ALT F2 shell window of ramdisk: I set set -o emacs but still couldn't
>> use ^P

J> the shell on the boot-floppies is ash, not bash. ash has no sense of history.
J> i beleive the shell warns you of this when you start it.

I think I even saw misleading
$ set -o
output too :-(

>> v19 emacs the default?! how about a newer default

J> emacs19, emacs20, and xemacs21 are all available in the potato (stable)

hmm, it could have asked me 'which one would you like the command
"emacs" to refer too' or something

>> before writing any files on the hard disk, please ask about the time zone
>> or something.  the installation leaves files that seem 8 hrs younger
>> than now [I'm a Taiwan localtime user ]

J> time stamps are written in GMT. if you correctly answered the question
J> about if the RTC is set to GMT or localtime, then the timestamps should
J> be correct.

well, I think lots of stuff is written to disk before that
question[?], now looking at /etc/* it looks like I was installing that
night, not in the daytime!  Same happened with mandrake.  Let's get it
straight before the first file is written!

I'm not to sure what is going on, but for us localtime folks that's
what happens on linux installations.  After the fisrt reboot one
realizes the first set of files written assumed gmt or something.

>> red/blue for default choice might not always work for perhaps
>> color blind on your yes no questions.

J> a black/white screen is also available. one of the first questions you
J> are asked is color or b/w. (default is color)

maybe throw in an underline or arrow or something just in
case... well, I'm just thinking one day there will be a user in whose'
culture certain colors have different habitual meanings... ok never mind.

>> I'm actually glad that x windows isn't a requirement to run your
>> installer script.

J> me too.

And thanks for [already] answering this... at least i know somebody's
home... a basic requirement for further debian exploration confidence
:-)

>> no message on how to redo screwed up parts of the install from the shell

J> in the install itself (before the reboot) you can go back in the menu
J> and correct almost any step you might have made a mistake on.

[I was thinking of for after the reboot]
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni Tel886-4-25854780 ¿n¤¦¥§