Impressions on using the debian potato installation Cds

sure hope non subscribers can mail to this group, and hope one day to
be able to read it via nntp. also the name "boot" doesn't 100% match
the description "installation' ...

---------
Impressions on using the debian potato installation Cds
-------------------
[just me talking to me, but may be useful for improving the debian
docs.]

:::::::::::::
why so many submenus with no way to back out, only one choice,
"<continue>"

some choices make one wonder, will choosing this cause the change right
away, or am i allowed to adjust details inside that choice... if not i
had better not choose it...

on the very first screen, it has a <continue> button with no advice on
hit SPC or RET or what... one fears a wrong hit might miss a 2nd page,
etc.

i switched around what cd drive i was using during the installation, so
it didn't ask again abut my 2nd cd... anyway, it thinks you won't
switch around or something... it didn't catch it.

I use chrony on my other linux distribution.  please ask the user if
he agrees to writing the software clock to the hardware clock before
doing this in the rc. scripts!  the first time we notice it it is too
late.

could at least tell user '35/44 steps thru installation' or something
so we have some idea on screen.

'read a page about propose of module'... not really

choose path .... : disconcerting

XF86setup: big disaster for me

please when asking the user about 'initializing' disks, use the word
'format' as that better implies the danger.

why not when giving the list of partitions to format, mention which
ones have already been formatted.

ALT F2 shell window of ramdisk: I set set -o emacs but still couldn't
use ^P

module selecting: yucky

some grammar errors: 'make linux bootable hard disk'

when debian gets larger, perhaps do the installation that doesn't need
answering questions in the background at the same time as that that
does?

many <y/n> questions aren't clear about what will happen if one hits
RET only.

v19 emacs the default?! how about a newer default

before writing any files on the hard disk, please ask about the time zone
or something.  the installation leaves files that seem 8 hrs younger
than now [I'm a Taiwan localtime user ]

arrow keys sometimes not used by installation script.

red/blue for default choice might not always work for perhaps
color blind on your yes no questions.

I'm actually glad that x windows isn't a requirement to run your
installer script.

depending on a separate installation instructions document isn't
feasible ---- well, unless you tell a user how to see it at the same
time on ALT F4 etc. windows.

entering passwds: no echo *** chars: bad

no message on how to redo screwed up parts of the install from the shell

--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni Tel886-4-25854780 ¿n¤¦¥§