Re: installing core udebs

Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:45:22PM +1100 wrote:
> Im not exactly sure what the current plan is for getting the core udebs
> on the boot disk, but how does this sound.
What is wrong/limiting with the current way that d-i boot floppies are being
created?
-udeb dependancies are resolved by apt
-udebs are unpacked into the host at time of boot disk creation, a user can
choose which udebs to include at that time fairly easily
-a root filesystem capable of bringing up the network is created, that is the
initrd.

Joey and Erik recently discussed a new boot sequence that hasn't been
implemented which shares some of the good points of what you propose here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0102/msg00404.html

I see your point about the initrd being isolated from anything else on the
system, admittedly the current system doesn't provide for that level of
isolation. I don't, however, see that we need the isolation.  The boot sequence
will basically be handled by rootskel, which shouldn't need to be messed with
once we settle on something.

My only concern is that creating the root filesystem in this way adds more
complexity and I don't (yet) see the gain.

David

P.S.  I just installed the hurd on one of my boxes, fun!