Re: instalation stops after root.bin

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 01:23:28PM +0200, Snehal Samant wrote:
> (i think that the foll messages may be important so i have inc them)
> no micro chanel bus present aborting!
> no MCA kernel support or not enabled

These tell you that your computer does not support Microchannel
architecture, nothing to worry about.

> after i put in the root.bin floppy the follwing messages appear

> unable to handle kernel null at virtual address( ...)
> Oops:000

Does it start to load the contents of root.bin? Do any other
messages appear before the "unable to handle kernel..."? (try
to press SHIFT+PageUP to scroll up if necessary).

> i don't think it is floppy problem as ihave already changed
> the floppy twice. on both occasions the same thing happens.

This is unfortunately no proof. Sometimes I succeeded after the
fifth floppy, and sometimes I had to change the floppy drive.

However if the kernel Oopses at the ramdisk loading stage, I
would say that this is a CPU or memory failure. Is your CPU
overclocked? Maybe try borrowing memory from a friend and see
if that helps?

A running windoze system also doesn't proove anything, since
generally Linux is more sensitive to broken hardware.

regards

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl>