Re: installer serious oversight or on purpose?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 05:36:21PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> I'm forwarding this to to appropriate list.
>
> This problem must be particular to powerpc, accessing the cd certianly
> works on i386, since it uses the same kernel after install as it used to
> install from cd. Is something weird going on with the ppc kernel?

CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y

>From the kernel we install onto the CD... I can't imagine that it's
getting a different one from somewhere...

> corey wrote:
> > I just picked up a cd distro of Debian Linux PPC while at LWE.  I found a
> > serious issue that keeps me from getting the thing installed, and I'd like
> > like to know if there's a reason this exists in this state....
> >
> > Step 1.  I boot from the cd (which of course, has iso9660 built into the
> > kernel).  Go through the whole process of setting up system, etc.  Choose
> > my modules, and such.  I reboot, using kernel placed on hdd during initial
> > install.

Do you mean during this particular install?  What version of kernel is
this?  Does dmesg show anything interesting?

It -should- be 2.2.18pre21, and it should be the same as what you get
from the kernel-image-2.2.18pre21-pmac package.

My guess: How are you booting?  From a previous linux install attempt,
perhaps?  You must not be getting the kernel that the CD gave you.
Make sure to run mkofboot or ybin before rebooting (see the
installation instructions, this is underdocumented).

Dan