Re: [Fwd: Debian's new installer]

Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:

> * pkglist modules: knows how to handle a specific package list. We use
[...]
> * pm modules: the package manager. We use pm_rpm.so, that knows how to install a
[...]
> * distro modules: this module is a "writer" module. It knows how to configure
> your system (X, network, etc).
[...]

The .so system is pretty standard "modular" scheme -- pretty much what
I would consider a UI-centric C or C++ coder would come up with.

Is it just me, or are these guys rewriting the farm?  Configuration of
X11, network, "etc" is not something that we really wanna centralize
into our installer and the already overworked install team....

Plus, it's i386 only.

All and all, not really a good match for Debian with the
decentralization of maintainership.

> :-) As MI gets mature, maybe you can adopt it as a second-option
> installer.

The interface is pretty cute, indeed.