Re: Notes on dbootstrap makefile and plans [Re: Debian Boot CVS: tausq]

Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl> writes:

> This means that framebuffer support would have to be turned on
> for all flavors.

I would love to stipulate this requirement.  I have no problem with
it.

What I do have a problem with right now is LANG_CHOOSER and how it was
never really completed.  Very frustrating.  I feel like the i18n folks
got us 95% there, but neglected to finish off the critical last 5%.

Let me be clear:

  I want *all* versions of boot-floppies for woody to be i18n to the
  extent that they can be.

  Unless some i18n hacker step up now, however, probably *none* of
  them will be.  And by hacking, I mean end-to-end testing, not just
  working on one tiny piece.

I wanted this for potato, too, but the work wasn't ever completed.

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 03:01:26PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > >
> > > How?
> >
> > make FB=true -> dbootstrap with framebuffer support
> > make LC=true -> dbootstrap with language chooser support
> > make FB=true LC=true -> combo of above
> > make SMALL=true LC=true -> LC-enabled dbootstrap with size optimizations
>
> Hmm.. if make will rebuild dbootstrap depending on what
> variable values are set, then everything would be OK...

I'm sure to build multiple variants, you'd need to build the one, move
the exec outta the way, make clean, build the other, etc.  It's
doable.

Don't FB and LC go together?  Maybe I don't understand the FB thingie
-- that's not the obsolete graphical dbootstrap is it?