[Fwd: kdetect and selectdevices]

--- Begin Message ---
David Whedon wrote:
> Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 08:53:47PM +1100 wrote:
> >
> > selectdevice is a binary that depends in libkdetect and cdebconf, it
> > just gets a list of devices that your system has, once a device is
> > selected an operation can be selected to perform, e.g. display
> > partitions, add partition etc.
> >
> > There will likely be a few small udebs like selectdevice
> > (selectpartition, createpartition, createfilesystem, mountpartition etc
> > etc) to basically be the interface between main-menu and the binaries
> > that actually do the work.
> I have a different vision here (just discussing, not arguing).  I would suggest
> that the partitioning udeb detect all candidate devices (via kdetect),
> prompt for the the device to partition, and then do whatever to the device. I
> think that combines 3 of the udebs you describe above into one.  I've written
> partkit to do all except offer a choice of devices which you do in selectdevice.
> I suggest partkit and selectdevice should be merged.

Yea, i was (probably still am) a bit confused as to when its best to use
main-menu and when to use debconf directly, i was thinking that having
lots of little udebs would allow us more flexibility with regard to
virtual packages automatically fetching packages as needed and making
the menu. I guess we can do all that directly ourselves though, i am a
little confused.

I (in my curent frame of thinking) agree with you, the partitioning
should all be merged into one udeb and get rid of the library as well,
put it with the binaries.

> > So on i386 we should be able to determine what functionality the user
> > want through main-menu with these sorts of questions and call libparted
> > (or mkfs.ext2, or other mkfs.otherfilesystem, or other partitionign
> > tools where libparted wont work) noniniteractively.
> Maybe I'm going to describe exactly what you are talking about, we'll see :-)
> If we want to call the partitioning udeb non-interactively we can, we just use
> debconf.  An auto partitioner would still use the partitioning udeb I have
> described above, but it would pre-set all the answers and set the 'seen' flags
> to true, here's the sort of thing I'm talking about, a shell script that is run
> as part of the autopartitioning udeb:
> # This creates a partition on /dev/hdb from 0 to 256
> db_set partkit/choose_dev /dev/hdb
> db_fset partkit/choose_dev seen true
> db_set partkit/choose_operation create
> db_fset partkit/choose_operation seen true
> db_set partkit/create_start 0
> db_fset partkit/choose_start seen true
> db_set partkit/create_end 256
> db_fset partkit/choose_end seen true
> db_set partkit/create_confirm true
> db_fset partkit/choose_confirm seen true
> This has the bonus of allowing us to automate and replicate installs using the
> same techniques.
Yep, cool, we are thinking along the same lines.

> > Being able to call these tools noninteractively means we should be able
> > have heaps of fun with autopartitioning which will make partitioning for
> > mass installs easy and customisable. For auto partitioning we could have
> > deferent "profiles" as udebs that dictate the rules (or guidlines) to
> > how the partitioning is done. End users could build there own profiles
> > to suit there needs or use probuilt ones that we make. But thats a way
> > of, we have to get manual operation working first.
> I agree, that will be great!
> By the way. I finally had the guts to try out partkit.  It wasn't happy because
> we have no /dev/.  I went to create /dev/ and found that /sbin/MAKEDEV needs
> 'tr' from busybox, we'll need that, right?

I have a (nearly complete) binary makedev i was working on, it was only
13KB, i think its still around, dunno if we will need it though, devfs
is nice and simple, im not sure of the space overheads ivolved though.

I havent actually tried selectdevice, i havent been able to get the demo
working (as you know).

Ive been distracted today, thinking about subpackaging and how it
relates to udebs and debs... but thats another story.

--- End Message ---