Re: reduced d-i demo3

On Sat Jan 13, 2001 at 01:28:10PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Erik Andersen wrote:
> > BTW, on the subject of library reduction...  I was wondering if we might want
> > to use some of H.J Lu's work on the glibc pic libs to help reduce the morass of
> > libc dependancies so that when we get around to doing library reduction it will
> > be even more sucessful.  I'm hopefull that this will help.
> >
> >     http://sourceforge.net/projects/sglibc/
>
> So the idea (quick scan of the mailing list) is to set compile-time
> options to disable stuff and stub out functions? The function stuffing
> seems unnecessary since we have library reduction, I guess the rest

As you noted though -- reduction only can go so far -- due to the rats nest of
twisy dependancies that is glibc.  So stubbing out some of the most egregious
bloat can be a win.

> I still haven't really ruled out uclibc BTW, but we seem to be doing fine
> on size as-is.

:-)  It is coming along fairly nicely.  But until I get shared lib
support in and working, it isn't going to be ideal.  BTW, I put up
a uClibc web page...
    http://cvs.uclinux.org/uClibc.html

> Also BTW, I cannot do a cvs checkout of the thing from sourceforge. Auth
> failure.

Hmm.  dunno whats up with sourceforge.  HJ has been keeping his
patches on:
    http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/glibc/

 -Erik

--