RE: regarding potato images

You may want to consider doing a multiple boot image scenario for the CDs.
That is, boot a menu that allows a choice of boot kernels to use.

Modern bioses will allow multiboot CDs to work, but not all bioses work
properly.  I only have one (out of nine) system at home that will boot a
multiboot CD correctly.  Using Gary Tong's diskemu.bin boot system it works
on all bioses.

Check out these sites ...

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
http://www.geocities.com/iopat/

I'm about to start futzing with them to create a small boot system.  45meg,
just with bootable 2.88 disk images and the drives and base system files.
The normal single boot image works fine, but I want to be able to pick the
boot kernel (ide, udma66 etc).  Basically a small business card CD image,
but using standard Debian stuff.  No special repair utilities or anything.

It would be nice to have a script available that would take the standard
disks-i386/current tree and create a 45meg ISO image ready to burn.

--
Dean Carpenter
deano@areyes.com