Installation problem

I am trying to install Debian Linux on an old 33 MHz, 486 Gateway,
16 MB RAM, ATAPI cd-rom.  I got Linux version 2.2 on 3 cd-roms
from Linux Central.  I copied rescue.bin, root.bin, driver-1.bin, driver-
2.bin, driver-3.bin and driver-4.bin to 5 1/4" floppies.  I inserted
rescue.bin into the floppy drive and everything seems to go fine and
then I get the following:

	VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and
	press ENTER

I press ENTER and get the following:

	RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
	VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

I press ENTER and get the following:

	[MS-DOS FS Reel. 12, FAT 0, check=n, conv=b, uid=0,
	gid=0, umask=022, bmap]
	[me=0x0, cs=0, #f=0, fs=0, fl=0, ds=0, de=0, data=0, se=0
	ts=0, ls=0, rc=0, fc=4294967295]
	Transaction block size = 512

At the boot: prompt, I have also tried typing in:

	linux root=/dev/fd1
	linux root=/def/fd0
	rescue root=/dev/hda1

all of which gave various error messages ending in a Kernel panic
message.

The reason I am trying to install this on such an old machine is
simply to get a bit familiar with the installation process and Linux
itself.  I was going to install it on my 450 MHz PentiumII machine
and installed a separate 12 GB disk for Linux.  However when I
went to install Linux, it was not clear to me where Linux was being
installed and I did not want to wipe out the Windows98 system.
So another question - with two separate hard drives, how do I
insure installation on the desired drive?

I appreciate the help.

	Ken Kastella