serial install

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is not the right
list for this question.

I would like to be able to do installs on machines
that have no monitor, only terminals connected through
the serial port.

I read in the release notes that this is supported, but
I have not been able to find any additional documentation.

Does the kernel on the rescue disk have CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE
compiled in? I tried booting a disk won a server ith my laptop running
a terminal emulator plugged into it, but I didn't get any
output.. the server later worked fine when I made a custom
kernel with this option compiled in.

If there is something I am missing or some documentation I
should be reading, please let me know.

Thanks!

Rob Helmer
Namodn