Re: proxy support for wget retriever

* Erik Andersen

| On Tue Jan 02, 2001 at 12:16:57PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > | If you can show me where it should give an error, I'll
| > | add it right in...
| >
| > Imho, it should require to get a hostname, and a directory.  My
|
| Hmm.  I'm not sure I understand.  Assuming you are talking about the URL wget
| is asked to retrieve, in wget.c open_socket() if gethostbyname(host) fails, it
| calls error_msg_and_die("cannot resolve %s\n", host).  If the URL you fed to
| wget is crap, then the GET will fail.  I can't know in advance either way.
|
| Or am I misunderstanding you?

you are.  :)

./wget-retriever Packages foo.txt
GET mirror/http/hostname
0
GET mirror/http/directory
0
GET mirror/http/proxy
0
wget -c -q http://  /dists/sid/main/debian-installer/binary-i386/Packages -O foo.txt

(sorry for the long line)

Shouldn't the retriever be persistent and requiring a hostname and a
directory?  If it doesn't require a hostname, the URL can be kind of
funny, like the one above (which should probably be URL encoded as
well).

| The source to setenv is clear.  It mallocs and copies as needed
| internally, so no, you do not need a persistant string.

ok, I didn't feel like downloading the source to glibc, so thanks for
checking for me.  Perhaps the manpage should be clarified?

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.