Re: Install from hard disk problems

Points
a) With respect to the directory structure issues, a Rational and
Effective place for a statement that the Respository Directory structure
should be imaged on the hard disk would be in the Readme on the idepci
install.
b) A usefull intent of the idepci install (for those without fast
downloads) is to minimize download time, in particular for drivers, to
drive-1.bin.  So why not make driver-1.bin installable from the
harddrive when other components thus loaded cleanly.  At a minimum, it
should be stated in an idepci Readme that drive-1.bin will have to be
written to disk.
c) But what is the function of the install.bat supposed to be:
   1) Serving in a de novo Debian installation?
   2) Booting Debian Linux after installation?
   3) Just something to confuse Newbies, expecting that what is provided
should be usefull& easy

Personally, I am Grateful for all the Debian resources freely provided
and have done 10-15ish Debian installs on diverse platforms.  But when
installs can be clarified for Newbie's, THEY SHOULD.

I'm not writting this as a Novice.  Currently I'm on line under kernel
2.4.0-test12 in the course of debugging use of the Lucent Winmodem:
 lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ltmodem               364960   1  (autoclean)
ppp_deflate            39584   1  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                4224   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6320   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            12928   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp
ppp_async]

Incidentally, I'm also co-maintainer of the Linmodem Howto:
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto-all.html
which is trying to deal with the Extremely Messy situation created for
Linux Newbies by the cheapy WinModems in allmost all the new
PCs/laptops.
After installing Linux, the Newbie's have a terrible time getting on
line under Linux.

MarvS