doc/ISSUES - possible fix for ramdisk issue

I just cvs co'ed debian-installer and I'd like to help get the
installer up to speed as it, in it's current state is kinda hard to
work with, at least for inexperienced users  ;)

Anyhow - in doc/ISSUES there is this:

* ramdisk size

  How big a ram disk do we need? What happens if the installer is asked to
  install just one more udeb onto a full ramdisk, and runs out of space?

  Possibilities:
        - lvm/md on a ramdisk
        - create 1 mb ramdisks on the fly, and put the actual files in
          there, symlinking to the real filesystem
        - similarly/complimentary, once other filesystems are available,
          put the file on them (eg, on nfs, pre-unpacked on the cd we are
          installing from, in a spare disk partition).

Another possibility which imho is the best is to use ramfs.  I don't
know if it's in 2.2, (since I don't have 2.2 handy), but it's in 2.4:

CONFIG_RAMFS:
 Ramfs is a file system which keeps all files in RAM. It allows
 read and write access.

 In contrast to RAM disks, which get allocated a fixed amount of RAM,
 ramfs grows and shrinks to accommodate the files it contains.

 Before you can use this RAM-based file system, it has to be mounted,
 meaning it has to be given a location in the directory hierarchy. If
 you want to use the location /ramfiles for example, you would have to
 create that directory first and then mount the file system by saying
 "mount -t ramfs ramfs /ramfiles" or the equivalent line in
 /etc/fstab. Everything is "virtual" in the sense that no files will
 be created on your hard drive; if you reboot, everything in /ramfiles
 will be lost.

However, I'm just curious about what happens when the ramdisk grows to
over free ram size..

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.