Re: busybox wget

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 03:37:09PM +0000, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > * The chunked transfer encoding thing is a killer. Seems to break it on
> >   a pretty large number of web sites. I guess you know about this
> >   though.
> For the chunked issue, the thing is that we are not using busybox wget to visit
> slashdot, but rather we will be using it to pull down files.  Files don't
> experience chunked transfer encoding, since there is only one chunk (unlike
> slashdot).  So I think a much better test of what is or is not a killer is to
> grab files from a debian archive...

	But the server _might_ as well use chunked even for files.
	Nothing says it can't. Chunked degrades nicely back into
	something like Content-Length, if you only have chunk.

	(Background: there are three ways to move response body from
	server to client;
	1. everything-to-EOF is same body
	2. content-length
	3. chunked
	And chunked looks (in principle) like tuples
	<5, "abcde"><6, "fghijk"><1, "l"><2, "mn"><0, "">.
	Thinking of read(2) may help in understanding.)

--
tv@{{hq.yok.utu,havoc,gaeshido}.fi,{debian,wanderer}.org,stonesoft.com}
unix, linux, debian, networks, security, | Three things are certain: