modem detection

I did some more looking into mdmdetect (one of the ddetect binaries that it
supposed to detect a modem, didn't detect Joey's, nor mine).  It turns out that
libdetect does get a response from my modem, but then sends a bad command:
at
ok
ati9
error

libdetect gives up after that and decides there isn't a modem.  I think we would
rather have the user know that an unknown modem was detected, and where it is,
even if we don't know what it is, true?  We'd could then install a ppp udeb and
hope for the best?

I don't know a whole lot about AT commands, I guess they aren't very standard.
Setting up a ppp link will require some user intervention in any case so we
can't figure _everything_ out with the at commands. What I need to figure out is
how much we can reasonably automatically do.

If anyone has any insight, I'm all ears.

-David