Re: building arm boot floppies - python error in dbootstrap/lang

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 06:18:01PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Having updated from cvs I am now past the LC problems reported. And then I
> got some python complaints, but after installing task-python-dev (except for
> 2 bits (gdb and python-gimp) which aren't compiled for potato arm) I get a
> bit further. Now, when I do make release - When it gets to
> boot-floppies/utilities/dbootstrap/langs dir it compiles iconv.so OK and then
> does:
>
>  ./ver2.py 0 i386 langs.xml
> (I'm suspicous about that i386, but replacing it with 'arm' doesn't
> affect the error and it does seem to have been deliberately overridden- what
> is this about?) The result is;
Well, this i386 is about the contents of *.src (*.xml) files.  So this needs
only to be changed in case this set of boot floppies is being built for arm
platform. :)  Actually, it's something that should be changed as soon as
something reasonable appears in *.src files...

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "./ver2.py", line 30, in ?
>     from dumper import dumper
>   File "./dumper.py" line 23, in ?
>     from iconv import engine
> ImportError: ./iconv.so: R_ARM_PC24 relocation out of range
Hmm..  This error seems to be specific to arm platform.

> This may be an arm-specific problem (I've asked a guru about that), but maybe
> not.
Unfortunately, I am not a debian developer, so I do not have access to those
arm machines available for them (do they exist?).  Maybe if I had an account on
such a computer, I could find what's wrong.  But, it's only needed if we want
lc on arm platform. :)

> What is actually going on in this dir?
The main thing is creating a langs.c file.
> Can I in fact do this part of the compile on an i386 box in order to get
> going? (I tried but got another error, probably due to mixing arm and i386
> files - <sigh>).
I'd say so.  What version of debian you are using, BTW?

> Can I just skip this stuff as yet more language-specifc jiggery-pokery that I
> almost certanly don't need?
Hopefully so, and actually you should not see anything about langs directory if
you have not set USE_LANGUAGE_CHOOSER=true in config file.

--
Misha