Re: hardware detection using libpci

Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:28:23PM -0500 wrote:
> Is RH database GPL'd? If so, can we use the database to create the header files
> for libdetect ??
>
> Regards,
>
> Vaidhy "Who does not like duplicating cuz he is lazy"
>

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:04:22PM -0600, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> > was called). I never compiled the actual program, but there is a pretty nice
> > database for the mapping between PCI device-id/vendor-id and the
> > kernel-module, x-server or whatever.

I think you may be talking about kudzu (then again maybe not :-) )

Kudzu has been used since Red Hat 6.1 as their hardware detector.
The one I looked at is at:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/Kondara/Jirai/SRPMS/SOURCES/kudzu-0.56.tar.gz

This is fine as a standalone application but it isn't going to be as easy to
use as libdetect (or similar) for our purposes as it doesn't make any efforts
towards being a library.  There is a list of pci id's included, it looks like
it (as well as the list in libdetect) is based on Martin Mares's list that can
be found here in the linux source (at least in 2.4-test8):
linux/drivers/pci/pci.ids

There is also discover, as Glenn pointed out,  that uses libdetect.  Discover is
geared towards having on executable that can detect all possible hardware. I
_think_ we are looking for something more modular.

http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/dists/unstable/main/source/base/discover_0.9.4.tar.gz

libdetect, written by MandrakeSoft,  is currently in Debian unstable, if you
want to look at it:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/libdetect-dev.html

How modular is libdetect? It only depends on libc and has entry points
like pci_detect() which takes a list of known devices and checks to
see if it can find any.  We can control what card it knows about, we
can control what bus we probe.  On top of that the code is pretty.

-David