Re: debinst: non-msdos partition table creation support

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 05:53:13PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> In Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:14:16 +1100 Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> cum veritate scripsit :

> > > You need them to boot.
> > Oh, really... is that a limitation of the bootloader or the kernel, i
> > just assumed you could boot from any partition table the kernel
> > supported.
>
> On a PC, BIOS needs to be able to read it first, before anything else.

The BIOS simply reads & executes the MBR. You can replace the MBR code with
code to read any partition table/disklabel. 'Dangerously dedicated' *BSD
disklabels are probably the best examples of this on ix86 systems ...

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)