boot problem

I've just attempted to install debian for the first time (new to the
linux world too).  The installation seems to go ok.  However, when it
comes time to reboot, the system freezes after the following boot

"Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as a reference..."

The only other messages I see the loos like they might be errors are:

modprobe: insmod * failed
Mounting local filesystems...
not mounted anything

I've tried installing with and without the options "Set system clock to

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks very much for your help.

Tim Veazey
Linux Newbie