Re: Alternative root filesystem support

"Karl M. Hegbloom" wrote:

>     Goswin> Hartmut Koptein <koptein@debian.org> writes:
>     >> > Let's add one more bullet point for the new installer--namely,
>     >> > alternative root filesystem support.  I and my colleagues would just
>     >> > love to see ReiserFS support in woody's installer.
>     >>
>     >> Why reiserfs?  reiserfs is the bad guy, it doesen't support other
>     >> architectures then intel and only the 32 bit part.
>
>     Goswin> Doesn't reiser also have problems with raid and lvm?
>
>  I spoke with a guy the other night who says he set up a reiserfs on a
>  raid with lvm, iirc.  I'll try and have him put in here, if I can
>  find his email and Cc him...
>
>  Hey, Anthony?  What can you tell us about this?  Do you really know
>  how to set up Reiserfs on RAID with lvm?

For the woody installer it shouldnt be too difficult to handle reiser,
lvm, raid, partition resizing etc.

As long as we have access to the module (or package) archive prior to
creating the root filesystem we download whats required to make a raid
partition, or reiserfs, and run it through a debconf menu to control its
functionality.

One possible problem is that the modules we have the more demanding we
will be on ram size as its all in ramdisk.
An alternative to the everything in ramdisk idea would be to setup a
loopfs somewhere on a local disk. This would complicate partitioning as
we would have to check and maybe move the loop filesystem to another
partition if the loopf is residing on the partition to be worked on.

Glenn