Re: Priorities

Anthony Towns wrote:
> I don't really understand task packages. I'd assume that they're there
> to make it easy for people to do some particular common tasks (setup a
> desktop environment, interact with your computer in japanese, play music,
> do 3d graphics, program).

Right. Have you done a potato install ever? This should be fairly clear
if so..

> It seems to me like it might be bing abused somewhat as an excuse to
> advertise particular groups of packages. task-webserver-roxen, and
> task-x-window-system come to mind as being more an excuse to group a
> bunch of packages together than really focussing on being something
> useful for the prospective user, for example. OTOH, "I want a useful X
> environment" isn't an unreasonable task.

Yes, task-webserver-roxen should not exist. I have written about this
before. "I want a web server" is a suitable task, "I want web server
foo" is not.

> The *task* is really "usable 2d windowing environment for accessing
> programs", it's not kde, or gnome, or xlib, or motif. Is it really
> sensible to have the choice between the various windowing toolkits
> made here?  Would it be better/possible to have a task-desktop that
> included both gnome and kde, and the best apps from both, and just let
> the user use them?  Obviously the packager would have to make a choice
> amongst xdm, gdm and kdm, but that doesn't seem unreasonably difficult.

Yes, probably. Remember, task packages arn't about choice, or rather
they are about us making choices so a new user doesn't have to bother.

>     python
> 	- how do I know whether I'm going to write "complicated" apps or not?
>     gnome-games
> 	- i just want to play games, i don't care what toolkit they use
>     tcltk
> 	- how do i kow if i want to run tcltk programs? debian packages will
> 	  install it if they need it, presumably the lsb will do likewise,
> 	  and anything i buy will tell me what i need to install, surely?
>     debug
> 	- if I'm going to be programming, I'm probably going to be debugging.
> 	  if I'm not programming why would i be debugging?
>     devel-common
> 	- C and C++ and Objective C are already covered with the specific
> 	  tasks, what's the point?
>     doc
> 	- eh?? i have to go out of my way to get "General documentation"??
>     python-web
> 	- a general "i want to work on interactive web sites" task would make
> 	  sense to me (one that included, presumably, a free java, and zope,
> 	  and tomcat, and tools to do cgi in perl and python and whatever else)
> 	  but just for pythn? "apt-get install zope" if that's what you want.

I think I agree with all of these. We should file bugs to get them
removed.

> The following seem to be just random collections of packages:
>
>     python-bundle
>     x-window-system
>     gnome-apps
>     gnome-net

I'm not sure aboyt task-x-window-system, but most of these have no
business using the task- prefix.

> 	a) There are a bunch of task- packages that aren't really useful.
>
> 	b) We can probably split tasks into three areas:
>
> 		* Install enough packages to satisfy most people who might
> 		  say "I want to do <..> with my computer"
>
> 		* Help someone set up some complicated service

It doesn't have to be a complicated service. This is just another
instance of "I want to do foo with my computer", where foo is web
servering or dns serving, or firewalling, or whatever.

> 		* Help someone make use of some hardware they have attached
> 		  to their computer, in a fairly generic way.
>
> I don't see any *good* reason for task- packages to conflict, though,
> in the above, most task packages should be completely independent.

Task packages should never conflict.

--
see shy jo